Excellent hygiene is always crucial to your overall oral health, but it becomes especially important when undergoing SureSmile orthodontic treatment. Wearing clear aligners creates what can be an ideal environment for the growth of bacteria that can cause tooth decay and bad breath. Unless you clean your teeth and aligners regularly, these germs will rapidly multiply in the space between them. Here are some tips for flossing during your SureSmile treatment.
Why Do I Need to Floss With SureSmile?
Brushing will eliminate most of the plaque from your mouth, but a toothbrush cannot reach into the spaces between your teeth. These spaces can provide a haven for plaque and trapped food. Regularly using floss breaks up plaque and removes food debris, protecting your teeth and gums from infection by destroying the habitats of harmful bacteria.
What Is the Best Way to Floss When Wearing SureSmile Clear Aligners?
SureSmile clear aligners must be removed for eating and drinking anything but water, and the teeth must be cleaned before they are put back in. You should be sure to wait thirty minutes after eating before you brush and rinse, and you must floss afterward to eliminate plaque and food debris as well as stimulate blood flow to the gums. Here’s a good flossing routine for SureSmile:
- Choose a brand of floss that can smoothly glide between your teeth. Dental floss comes in plain, waxed, ribbon, and even mint-flavored varieties.
- It is recommended that you floss with a strip of about eighteen centimeters (about seven inches). This might sound a little long, but you need enough to wrap around your fingers.
- Wrap the floss around the fingers of either hand, leaving a few inches between them.
- Gently guide the floss between your teeth towards the gumline.
- Use an up-and-down motion to work the floss against the edge of either tooth.
- Gently pull the floss out from between your teeth.
- Repeat these steps for every tooth in your mouth.
You’re getting SureSmile clear aligners so your teeth can be straighter and healthier, and allowing your teeth to decay by neglecting your oral hygiene defeats the whole point of the treatment. By brushing and flossing properly every time your aligners are removed, you can secure the best possible result from the process.
About the Practice
Vason Family Dentistry provides top-quality dental care for the community of Atlanta, GA. Led by Drs. Carlisle Vason and Kristen Grisham, the staff delivers old-fashioned customer service with the latest in dental techniques and technology. Areas of expertise include general, cosmetic, restorative, and emergency dentistry in addition to SureSmile treatments. For more information on oral care while wearing clear aligners, contact the office online or dial (404) 367-9799.